Haven't got a stamp? Write Elder Keyes via Dearelder.com

Monday, May 2, 2011

Transfer week!

3 April 2011

Hello Familia! 

Well this week is transfer week and Elder Greenburg is on his way to Barcelona... I will be receiving my new companion later on tonight (Elder A*******p. Quite a name huh? Right now i´m with other Elders who are awaiting their companions also. Its sad to see Elder G*******g go but thats just how it is. I´m excited to get to know someone else. I´ve also always like this kinda change. Switching things up a little (and not too much) is fun. I still have all the investigators and members that I have relationships with and I´m excited to continue working here.

We were able watch conference (most of all of it)... and it was great! It was in Spanish so it was a little different. I understood probably 90% of it. There part that I missed was hearing their voices. Of course the facial expressions (especially of the Prophet) are awesome.

John mentioned that I havent said much about the lifesyle here. Its true its just hard to know where to start. Its incredibly different but very hard to explain.

Man... it really is difficult. I don´t know how to explain anything about it. The culture here is a bit different. There are a lot of people here from South America. Like.. a ton! Mostly from Bolivia. Lots from Peru, Columbia, Paraguay, and . And a few from Chile and Argentina. It´s very very easy to tell if people are from here in España or from South America. Usually just by looking at them. If not then by the accent. Spanish people and South Americans sound a little different when they talk. The people from South America are generally a lot more open to talking to us and talking about God. A lot of Spaniards just dont wanna hear it. Its funny a lot of times people will be smoking and drinking and if we approach them they are like... "no, no, no... we´re Catholics..." Haha. my Spanish is improving and its getting easier and easier to carry a relaxed conversation about whatever with everyone. Its a lot easier to gain relationships with someone when you can talk to them. Who woulda thought, huh?

I´m kinda going to have to run the show for a while while my companion gets acquainted to the area and everything. It will be a good growing experience for me. I´m excited. The relationships I have with the members is something inexplicable. The branch is trying to grow and get stronger but the members know that they can always trust and count on the missionaries for help, counsel, and love. Although sometimes they get VERY personal and tells us all kinds of things. haha. But teaching and giving hope through the Holy Ghost is a very satisfying thing.

(it just took me about 15 seconds to remember how to say Holy Ghost in English... I´m forgetting my own language. lol)

I still have explained to lifestyle here... Haha. Well the lifestyle for the people here and for us as missionaries is obviously way different. But I tell you if there is one country in the world that is more "worldly" than the USA.... its here. Everyone from here smokes. Even people who otherwise look quite nice have piercings in their noses and cigarettes in their mouths. Kinda crazy but yea. But there are so many nice people that we meet everyday. I´m never discouraged by all the crazy stuff going on because of the people that listen to us and have desires to change. They realize that these things dont bring them real happiness and they feel like there has to be more to life. Oh yea... cause there is more to life! :) 

Oh yeah there are quite a few people here from Africa too. Not a ton but bastante(enough). :) They are way kind. In fact percentage wise they are probably the most receptive than anyone. Probably the higher percentage of Africans that are taught by the missionaries are actually baptised than any other group. Interesante, no?

---------------
Bueno pues, tengo que irme pero les quiero mucho y espero que todo está bien. Disfruta su semana y hablamas la semana viene. Lo siento si mi inglés es malo. Estoy olvidando deletrear las palabras íngleses y todo. Pero todo bien. Cuidese y recuerde... El Señor siempre esta con tigo.

Alrighty well, I have to go but I love you a lot and I hope that everything is good. Enjoy your week and we will talk next week. Sorry if my english is bad. I´m forgetting how to spell english word and everything. But its all good. Take care and remember...The Lord is always with you.
--------------

Elder Keyes

No comments:

Post a Comment